Tradvisez

Check out my piece in DNA magazine, a glossy, Aussie gay periodical-- July 2014

Me and the Girl Who Went Away

"when she was normal"




In adoption related circles there is a term called triad that refers to the specter of participants in an adoption, the adoptee, the birth and adoptive parents. For my whole life as an adoptee, I have never thought much about the experiences of the other groups. My own orphaned path with all of its implications and social stigma has been the only one that mattered in my narrow narcissistic POV. Suddenly, through Facebook, I have become friends with a host of birthmothers mostly from the baby scoop era that refers to the boom of orphans given up between 1940 and 1970. I have chatted with many of them who relay stories of having been coerced and assured that they were doing the right thing for their unborn child. They were promised anonymity and instructed to go on with their lives and forget the ordeal had ever happened. There is a book written by Ann Fessler called The Girls Who Went Away that is a compendium of accounts from the aforementioned birthmothers who describe being sent away to institutionalized homes for unwed mothers where they were issued a fake wedding ring to wear during their pregnancy to prevent gossip and scandal from harboring. I have a friend whose mother was sent two states away to carry out her pregnancy which she explained as being called to care for sick aunt. It is a wonder that he was reconnected after they went to  such lengths to prevent that from happening. 
My own birthmother doesn’t qualify as one of Fessler’s described girls who went away although she was sent away for a different reason.

Kathy Domino was barely 30 when she gave birth to me at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center in 1973. She had been there before just two years prior when she gave birth to my sister. The first time she got pregnant she and her boyfriend Tom were still romantic and googly—eyed enough to imagine that they could become a family and raise the baby on their own but they were deluding themselves. Tom said it became apparent in Kathy’s third trimester that he could never marry her. The day he came home to find her sobbing surrounded by broken dishes helped him make up his mind. Still, he did everything he could to come to the hospital when he learned Kathy was in labor. Because he was barred at the door and deemed a pariah, he went on his way and tried to forget. Back then being a birthfather of a “bastard” was anathema to expecting custodial rights or consideration. When I asked her family what they knew about him, I received a curt brush off as they claimed ignorance. I later learned they knew exactly who he was but didn’t approve and therefore he ceased to exist. If Kathy had been normal and married a man of her family’s station she would be hosting luncheons for the local Junior League as wife to a stockbroker or something like  it. She was from old world immigrant Sicilian stock whose offspring had elevated to leadership positions all over the South Bay in the generations since the  first WOPs descended the boat.  Sicilians stick together and eschew affiliation with the vile Italians they’re always being lumped in with. “We are NOT Italian”, said my uncle Fred when I told him that was the only detail I was allowed to know. The face sheet I was issued with splotches of white-out clearly shows the word Italian stamped in the box describing my mother’s nationality. My adoptive surname of Angelo scored me points when I introduced myself as the long lost son of his schizophrenic sister but it didn’t hold. “What can I do for you,?” he asked as if I was inquiring about a loan.   Maybe he worried that I was keen to  their mother’s lineage that  produced the corporate behemoth that became Contadina Foods. Kathy and Fred’s parents divorced before she was three and their  mother brazenly moved to CA as their father faded to the background. Their father was a Chicago bar owner who was prone to throwing his 4'11 wife down the stairs. Their mother was descended from the founding families of Contadina Foods and used her connections to finagle a job in a California cannery in order to get divoriced and head west with the children. This was quite a liberating step in the years immediately following WWII. They lived in the comfortable Willow Glen suburb and her brother attended Bellarmine,  the Catholic boy’s high school for future rulers of business and industry. Fred went on to become district attorney after graduating University of Santa Clara. Kathy went to Europe when she was 15 to study art and had visions of painting professionally. Her high school graduation picture is tragic in the way it suggests what could have been. It was displayed on the church altar at her memorial service and I balked upon seeing it. “That’s when she was normal,” said her brother wistfully. I had never allowed myself to imagine or consider that there was once a time that she was normal. The schizophrenia was at the forefront of everything I thought or dreamt about her since I was conscious. It was the first thing revealed in the letter I received from Santa Clara County the first time I inquired about where I came from. “Based on your mother’s diagnosis of schizophrenia, you were given up for adoption…and she was conserved”.  The schizophrenia obscured her identity and parental claims.  It was evident in the way she drifted from one tangent to another unrelated topic in every attempt at conversation. “Tell me about the day I was born,” I once said to her. “It was a miracle… miracle… Miracle Worker, ..Helen Keller… Who played Helen Keller in the Miracle Worker,..” went one tangent.
Tom and Kathy courting


“Patty Duke,“I interjected…now back to me… " I became better at redirecting her focus and learned to tolerate her unorthodox public persona and then appreciate it as star quality. When she rubbed elbows with winos and hit them up for a spare cigarette and some change, I didn’t bat an eyelash since it was the first thing she had said to me the day I found her. The velveteen baby doll dress may not have been age appropriate for her generation but it complimented the plastic bow hair barrettes and streetwalker makeup that she liked to reapply in windows. After her death, I came across a letter she had written to my father two months before my ninth birthday when she was 39, the same age I am now. “I never ask much of you or my brother,' it began 'but I need you to send me a picture of our 8 year old son Thomas Charles." I froze when I saw my original name and immediately hijacked the letter from my father[‘s pile of memories. He would have never let me have it but I deemed it mine as much as my sealed birth certificate was mine. Kathy’s fragile mental state had led to her becoming convinced that my father was harboring pictures of me when the reality was he knew even less about me than she did. He wasn’t near the hospital when I was born and didn’t believe I was his until he saw a picture years later. It made absolutely no sense that he would have a set of current pictures,  but there it was in ink under an ancient coffee stain on springtime themed stationery. “I’m still eating to curb the loneliness, up to 150 lbs.” That was the last line she wrote before signing off, “Love Kay” which I imagined people calling her as short for Kathy. It is an eerie timestamp of evidence that she never got over giving me or Trista up.  Her brother told me she would ask about us years after the adoptions. “Where
are my babies,” she would cry. “They’re with families who can take care of them,” was the stock answer.  I don’t think she ever completely comprehended what became of us. I was left in foster care for over  a year as she refused to sign my relinquishment papers. “She would have eventually been forced to…It would have been disastrous (if she had kept us),”

said my uncle. Kathy’s mental state had absolved her of any hope of claiming parental rights. She was relegated to eternal mystery as they erased her name from my records.  I was born in 1973, the hallmark year of Roe vs. Wade and it escapes me why she neve exercised the option  not to have children. She gave birth to another boy 7 years after me from another man although she claimed for years that we were all from the same father. My half-brother David’s adoption was handled out in the open as his foster parents knew the people who adopted him and Kathy was able to visit him regularly until he was 5 years old. He always knew where he came from unlike Trista and me who were as good as left on a doorstep for the information we were given.
Sometimes, when I’m in the company of other adoptees, someone usually points out how my case was different from the majority because Kathy was schizophrenic. “Your mother had a reason to give you up. Not like us,” they chime.  This detail sets me apart from the norm in my circle of commiserating lost bastards. The pool of orphaned adoptees I usually affiliate with have been predominantly female and have struggled with why they were given up. I have been described as lucky to have escaped all that rejection because Kathy was schizophrenic. I just nod and smile when accused of this because my reality hasn’t been any easier to accept knowing that her hand was forced. She may not have been an unwed teenager but as a ward of the state who was free to avoid medication and pursue random relationships on the street she suffered  consequences that only alienated her further from her family.  By the time Trista and I met her,  the  closest confidante she had was the batty bag lady she battled with in the bed next
to hers in a sleazy halfway house.  My sister and I couldn’t comprehend what we were witnessing the first time we saw it.
I empathize with my new group of friends from the other side of the triad. Identifying as an adoptee and more than affiliated with the adoptive parent’s angle based on the experience of my own, I had always regarded birthmothers as a mysterious, anonymous clique who lived in fear of opening their front door to find the kid they gave away. My mother had a close friend who had given up a child for adoption before she married and had more children. She didn't want to search for her son because she was told it might ruin his life if she suddenly showed up so she avoided it for years. Eventually she did search and find her son who was 25 by that time.  He confessed he had avoided searching for her because he had been told she was promised anonymity and showing up might ruin her life. The lies and lack of logic kept both parties frozen in fear for many years.

When  my  name was changed and record sealed it was to  prevent such a scenario and I blew all that to pieces the minute I started asking questions deemed “none of my business”.  As a self-described  bastard with the good fortune to have crossed from lost to found, I am outraged that scores of others like me exist who were conditioned to believe their identity was none of their business. “You don’t want to open that can of worms,” said a concerned high school counselor when I brought the subject up 22 years ago. I can’t make up the time I lost post-reunion that wasn’t spent embedding every possible detail into my brain for posterity because only the outline remains. Because I ultimately rejected the rewards of my reunion for 15 years, I wasted what could have been a relationship with my mother and father. As a gay man who grew up indifferent to the options available to me for father figures, I never considered it a great loss that my birth father remained in the shadows. Suddenly, on the cusp of 40, it matters. I think back to the many times Tom Smith made overtures and attempts to know me and the way I brushed him off as a nuisance. After my inquiries blew the lid off the case and reunions ensued, my sister was able to spend quality time with both parents because she lived in the  same geographic vicinity while my location and distance only furthered the chasm. I am just now really feeling the absence of a father/son dynamic that I never missed growing up.  After that initial meeting on the porch of our mother's halfway house, my sister  was able to know Kathy and revel in the sacred mother/daughter bond that girls should have. Kathy was sent away  years before Trista nee Sally was born in 1971. “We didn’t know what else to do with her,” said her brother when I met him for the first time.”  “Kathy was always a little weird,” said
 her sister-in-law. When she  was diagnosed schizophrenic they  sent her  to live in the fortress that was Agnews Insane Asylum. Her family moved from their Willow Glen
Agnews Insane Asylum built 1885
home to an unlisted address that they never disclosed to her. When Ronald Reagan shut down the state’s mental health facilities as outlined in The Insanity Offense by E. Fuller Torrey, Kathy was free to avoid medication and restrictions. She took up residence in a decaying Victorian near San Jose State and was there the day Tom Smith checked in to sleep. He was unconventional and damaged in a kooky, eccentric sort of way. Having tried  living briefly as a nudist once, he was also prone to experimenting with drugs. “But I always worked,” he declared proudly. He was always part of one construction union or another which afforded him a steady job as there was always work. He reports that his hands have been all over some well-known Bay area bridges. He was also bi-curious which goes undetected as most overlook the tell-tale bling that he wears as a star-sapphire pinky ring. Tom and Kathy continued their affair when he was in town, usually on the holidays as is obvious from my September birthdate.  He said he didn’t bother going to the hospital when he heard about me because he didn’t believe that he was the father. Then he saw a picture of me and wept for 20 years over the son that was his spitting image. “You look just like Tom,” said Kathy, the first time I met her. We have the same eyes. I pray that I can look him in those eyes one more time before all I have is his ghost staring back at me from the mirror.

me and my bio dad Tom -the day we met 1997