Tradvisez

Check out my piece in DNA magazine, a glossy, Aussie gay periodical-- July 2014

Trumpetvine

Because the Edie's never go out of style, I decided to repost some old correspondence I had upon the advent of Grey Garden's rebirth.




Dateline
April 2007

H urray. Hurrah. Finally, at last the feature film version of the best thing in the whole world, Grey Gardens is premiering on HBO, Saturday, April 18. I rushed and ordered the network on my cable service as soon as I heard the news. I have long been obsessed with everything Edie. I was intrigued about the story the first time I read about the film in an unnamed festival program. The famous photo of Edie in the ratty fur coat
Max Gordon's muse

standing in front of the mansion haunted me. Was it taken during "another winter in a summer town"? Edie's iconography astounds me. Anyone who dares ask me the question, "What is Grey Gardens?" deserves my venom as I have little patience for those who are not as culturally evolved as I am. How do I begin to explain the Edies and my inherent devotion?
When I make an effort to indoctrinate the uninformed into the garden of Edie's,  the result is very telling.     I will use someone's reaction as a litmus test to determine whether or not they maintain a continued presence in my life. Those who don't make the cut are disowned much like the Edies were ostracized from the Bouviers for being artists above bureacracts.    Just as there are some people born with the gift of clairvoyance, I believe there are those of us who understand the gifts that Edie had.  Edie was just  kooky and unconventional. Her words and phrases have transcended time immemorial.  Because of my ultra devotion to GG, I was even more thrilled when my old friend Timothy (from USC) explained that the director, Michael Sucsy was a long time friend of his. Wouldn't the members of my online fan groups be thrilled for me? Being the starfucker that I am, such a degree of separation is unbelievable. This is a transcript of the communiques passed between me and Tim with a brief bon mot from Michael Sucsy, the director of the HBO narrative.

My friend Timothy wrote,
 "I cried the first time Michael showed it (the feature film) to me. I'm so proud of my good friend having made something so beautiful. I'm going to the premiere on the 16th. He's even in awe that his first film is premiering at Manns Chinese and the Zigfield (sic) in NY

This is what I wrote to Michael Sucsy
. Hello Michael,
 Timothy Brodt is a friend of mine from college. When I saw your name on his friend list, I asked him if it was the same person who directed Grey Gardens as I had been following the scuttlebutt of the film since its inception. Needless to say, I am decidedly in awe of being so closely connected to Grey Gardens via the degrees of separation inherent in our lives.Tim told me he sent you an email I wrote after seeing promotional snippets of the film. You are to be commended. Based on what I've seen, you've done the Edies tremendous justice.
I presume Julie Christie's name didn't come up in discussions of casting? I'm being facetious in reference to Edie's insistence that only she, herself be allowed to play Edith Beale. An interesting parallel, I noticed in the Beales of Grey Gardens, Al or David threw out a name and asked Edie if she would consider Ethel Barrymore to play herself. She responded positively although she had no idea who would play her mother. The casting of Drew was homage to that conversation. I am waiting with bated breath until the film debuts on television. I am happy Tim is going to the premiere. Thank you for deciding to pursue this project. I can't believe I'll finally be able to see what life was originally like at Grey Gardens. Grey Gardens, the brand resonates with me on so many levels. With adoration, Michael Thomas Angelo

 Michael Sucsy's reply: "You are so sweet. I hope you enjoy the film."